Presentation to the DNRE (formerly the MDEQ)



Presentation to the MDNRE (formerly the MDEQ)

Michigan’s Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) has recently changed its name to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment (MDNRE or just DNRE).  At the same time they merged the Environmental (pollution regulatory issues, etc..) side of things with the Natural Resources (hunting, fishing, etc..) side of things.  Or should I say re-merged them.  They were merged at one time but split apart back during the Gov. Engler administration in the 1990s.  I’m not even going to pretend that I understand why they were split in the 1990s and why they are being put back together now.  Its politics and I’m not that interested in the reasons why.  I just hope it makes them more efficient and it saves tax payer money.

The reason I bring this up is because I have been asked to present at a MDNRE District Supervisors monthly meeting on February 18th, 2010 (next week).  The topic of my presentation is “Third Party Sampling and Web Based Data Management and Reporting”.  We have already done some sampling directly for the State and hopefully this will lead to even more work. Believe it or not, they pay very quickly ……about 7 – 8 days.  Over the last 2 years I have had several conversations  with District Supervisors and other regulatory Staff and the most frequent 2 comments from them is something to the effect of “You’re going to do well” and “For that price maybe more people will be willing to do sampling to keep their site in compliance”.  I’m not claiming this is an endorsement of what it is we do, I just saying that the MDNRE see’s the potential merit in our program and wants to learn more.

I will let you know how it goes.

Comments

  1. Meeting went well. I think we might even get some more work from it. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12-Volt Stainless Steel Centrifugal Pumps - A Comparison

Multi-Parameter Meter Comparision - 6 meters compared, which one is best?

Follow Up - To Lock or Not To Lock?